2015 Public Service Award
The Board of Trustees of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT) has selected Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Cheney for the 2015 Public Service Award. This award recognizes individuals and organizations from the lay community that have impacted the public by promoting or creating awareness of gastrointestinal health.
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Cheney are being recognized for their role in activism and outreach for Pancreatic Cancer. Some of these achievements include:
- Hosting three National Vigils of Hope with over 500 participants;
- Publishing multiple articles about pancreatic cancer in local and regional newspapers;
- Being local champions for the inaugural Purple Stride event in New York City, which, since its inception, has raised $1.5 million for pancreatic research;
- Guest lecturing on pancreatic cancer at multiple medical centers;
- Serving as Community Advocate, Community Representative, and Survivor Caregiver at the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN);
- Leading in the Patient and Liaison Service arm of PanCAN; and
- Lobbying Congressmen and Senators to support the Pancreatic Cancer Research Act.